Nigeria is a country that runs a democratic system of Government, but despite the Government structure, traditional system of Government is still recognized and maintained across the country.
Traditional rulers are the custodian of the culture and these leaders are oftentimes blessed with wealth that comes with holding such sacred and reverred positions.
We’ve put together a list of the richest Nigerian monarchs we have today.
10. Dein of Agbor (Estimated $20million)The Dein of Agbor is the world’s youngest crowned Monarch in history. Born Benjamin Ikenchukwu and addressed by his ruling name Dein. He was 2 years and four months when his father died hence he was born in July 1977.
He is the chancellor of African Union University Cotonou, Benin Republic and University of Ilorin as well.
The Dein has a collection of choice cars but his favorite to cruise around with is his Mercedes S550 automobile.
He is the 10th richest Monarch in Nigeria with an estimated $20million net worth.
9. Olu of Warri (Estimated $30million)The Kingdom of Warri is a traditional state based on the town of Warri in Delta State, Nigeria. Warri is an inland port on one of the Niger River channels in the Niger Delta. The Olu (king) of Warri is the head of the Itsekiri people.
He is one of the most lowkey monarch on this list as he doesn’t love fancy cars. He is the traditional King that contrthe Oil rich Niger-Delta area of Nigeria.
He is estimated to be worth a staggering $30million.
8. Oba of Lagos (Estimated $40million)Rilwan Babatunde Osuolale Aremu Akiolu who is the Oba of Lagos is the traditional and ceremonial monarch of Lagos, a coastal settlement of Nigerians that went on to become the largest city in Africa.
Lagos is the financial capital of contemporary Nigeria and it is no surprise that its monarch made this interesting list as one of the richest in the country.
He was a member of the Nigeria Police force where he rose to the rank of Assistant Inspector-General of Police until his retirement.
He has one of the most expensive palace in the country which is worth an estimated N2billion. He owns several luxurious cars including a 2016 Mercedes S550 luxury automobile.
He is worth an estimated $40million.
7. Alaafin of Oyo (Estimated $40million)Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III is the Alaafin, or traditional ruler, of the Yoruba town of Oyo and rightful heir to the throne of its historic empire.
He is one of Nigeria’s richest monarchs as he’s one of the most respected in Western Nigeria. He is the 7th richest monarch and the second most influential in Yoruba land.
He is worth an estimated $40million.
6. Obi of Onitsha (Estimated $50million) Nnaemeka Alfred Achebe is the 21st Obi of Onitsha, in Anambra State, South-Eastern Nigeria. He is chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University.
The post of the Obi is recognized by the state and federal governments of Nigeria, and the Obi himself is seen as a representative of the people of Onitsha to the state and federal levels of government.
The Obi is not crowned but emerges. He also serves as the Chairman of the board of Directors as UNILEVER.
He owns several luxuruous cars including a Rolls Royce Phantom.
5. Oba of Benin (Estimated $60million)Oba Ewuare II is the Oba of Benin, the traditional ruler and the custodian of the culture of the Edo people and all Edoid people and head of the historic Eweka dynasty of the Benin Empire, a West African empire centred on Benin City, Nigeria.
He was crowned Oba in 2016 and is the 40th Oba of Benin. He worked for the United Nations in 1981 through 1982. He also served as ambassador of Nigeria to Sweden, Angola and Italy.
This Oba is one of Nigeria’s richest and owns a number of choice luxury automobile including a 2016 Rolls Royce Phantom automobile.
He is estimated to be worth around $60million.
4. Oni of Ife ( Estimated $70million)Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, is the traditional ruler, or Ooni, of the Yoruba kingdom of Ile-Ife.
He was crowned Ooni in 2015. He is one of Nigeria’s richest monarch and the most influential in Yoruba land.
He is into real estates and own a number of estates and a resort. He also the chancellor of University of Nigeria (UNN).
He owns a luxurious automobile collection including a Rolls Royce and Bentley. He is estimated to be worth around $70million.
3. Emir of Kano (Estimated $80million)Muhammadu Sanusi II is the 14th Emir of Kano and was crowned in 2014 following the death of his granduncle, Ado Bayero.
The Kano Emirate is a Muslim state in Northern Nigeria formed in 1805 during the Fulani jihad when the Muslim Hausa-led Sultanate of Kano was deposed and replaced by a new emirate which became a vassal state of the Sokoto Caliphate.
The emir of Kano is the most powerful emir in Nigeria. Emir Sanusi was former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor. He was listed by times Magazine as one of the world’s top 100 most influential people.
He is estimated to be worth around $80million.
2. Sultan of Sokoto (Estimated $120million)Sultan Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar (born August 24, 1956 in Sokoto) is the 20th Sultan of Sokoto, the titular ruler of Sokoto in northern Nigeria, head of Jama’atu Nasril Islam (Society for the Support of Islam – JNI), and president-general of the Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA).
He is the most powerful monarch in Northern Nigeria and also the head of the supreme council for islamic affair.
He is the 20th sultan of Sokoto and was corronated in 2006 and once served in the military and retured as a Brigadier General. He owns several luxurious cars including a 2017 Rolls Royce.
1. Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom (Estimated $125million)Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan is the traditional ruler of Ugbo Kingdom. The Olugbo of Ugbo Kingdom is a paramount Yoruba king of Ugbo Kingdom, in Ilaje local government area of Ondo State, southwestern Nigeria.
The King is generally called “Olugbo” or “Oghone” and is Nigeria’s richest monarch who didn’t get his wealth from being a monarch.
He is an oil magnate and the owner of Obat Oil, an independent Oil and Gas company. He was rated as Forbes as second richest King in Africa.
He is the richest King in Nigeria and owns several luxurious cars including a custom