US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the Trump administration is revoking the visas of some Saudi officials implicated in the death of writer Jamal Khashoggi.
Pompeo announced the step at a State Department news conference Tuesday (Wednesday NZ time).
US Vice President Mike Pence said earlier that Khashoggi’s death at Saudi Arabia’s consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, “will not go without an American response”.
This comes as US President Donald Trump criticised the Saudi operation that killed the journalist, calling it one of the “worst cover-ups in the history of cover-ups”.
Trump told reporters in the Oval Office he’s expecting a full report on the killing soon.
But he says, “they had a very bad original concept” and it was “carried out poorly”.
He calls the events after Khashoggi’s death “the worst cover-up ever”.
Saudi Arabia has claimed Khashoggi, a writer for The Washington Post who wrote critically about Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, died accidentally in a brawl at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2.
But Turkish officials say a 15-men team tortured, killed and dismembered the writer and say Saudi officials had planned the killing for days.