Illegal Possession Of 4,500 Hectares Of Land: Community Protest Land Grabbing Activities Of Oba Oniraniken, Adewale Adeniji - IReporteronline
Connect with us
                               

Latest News

Illegal Possession Of 4,500 Hectares Of Land: Community Protest Land Grabbing Activities Of Oba Oniraniken, Adewale Adeniji

Published

on

Kindly Share This

Illegal Possession Of 4,500 Hectares Of Land: Community Protest Land Grabbing Activities Of Oba Oniraniken, Adewale Adeniji

Indigenes of Makun community in Sagamu, Sagamu local government area of Ogun State on Tuesday staged a peaceful protest at the Governor’s Office, Oke Mosan, Abeokuta, over alleged land grabbing activities by Oniraniken of Iraniken, Sagamu, Oba Adewale Adeniji accusing the traditional ruler of using land grabbers to forcefully take over about 4,500 hectares of farmland belonging to 14 Makun communities.

Some of the communities where Oba Adewale Adeniji was said to have used land grabbers to sack the people from their farmland are Okerala, Oko-Iwaju, Ipa, Idarika, Alawun, Simawa, Apena Seriki among others

The protesters were armed with placards with different inscriptions such as “We need justice in Makun Kingdom” “Gov. Dapo Abiodun save us from land grabbers” “Makun people need peace in our community”, “Oba Oniraniken leave us alone” among others.

Addressing journalists, their spokesperson, Alhaji Jamiu Alabi Olododo said the essence of the protest was to call on Governor Dapo Abiodun to prevail on Oniraniken, Oba Adewale Adeniji to desist from his alleged land grabbing activities in Makun communities.

Olododo said “for over a year now, the Oniraniken, Oba Adewale Adeniji had been using land grabbers to terrorize our people and chase them away from their farms. We have reported him to Ogun State House of Assembly as well as the Akarigbo of Remo land but he has not to desist from his illegality.

“Even last week, eight land grabbers working for the traditional ruler were arrested by police from the Force headquarters, Abuja. We want the government to set up a panel of enquiry to look at this issue and also caution Oba Adeniji to stop this crude means of acquiring what never belongs to him”.
Also speaking, the acting Secretary of the Ewusi-in-Council, Otunba Kayode Howells said “this land in question has for decades been homestead for the Makun people, but suddenly, Oba Adewale Adeniji said he got a judgment from somewhere; whereas the inhabitants of those areas he said he got judgment were not even informed about any court case”.
Otunba Howells urged Governor Abiodun to step in and form an independent judicial commission to investigate the claims of Makun community and that of Oniraniken with a view to establishing the truth.

Addressing the protesters, the State Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Hon Afolabi Afuape who was accompanied by the Special Adviser to the governor on Land Matters, Mr Aina Salami said a letter over the subject matter had been received and feedback will be given as soon as possible.

Afuape urged members of the communities not to take laws into their hands, but to continue to give peace a chance assuring that the government will dispassionately look into the matter and ensure that justice was served.

The Commissioner said ”Now that you have brought this issue to the notice of the government, be rest assured that the government will do justice to it. I also implore you to maintain peace as you go back home because no meaningful development could be achieved in a chaotic environment”.
Meanwhile, Oniraniken of Iraniken, Oba Adewale Adeniji while speaking with our Correspondent denied being a land grabber, insisting that he is a recognized traditional ruler in the country and that the farmland under dispute belongs to his Osoedu family as declared by the judgments of two Ogun State High Courts sitting in Sagamu in 2018 and January 2020.

Oba Adewale Adeniji said “rather than inciting people and causing crisis where there is none, once a court of competent jurisdiction gave a judgment on a matter, I think the right thing is to either abide by the judgment or seek for redress in a higher court.

“That’s what I expect those having interest over this family farmland should do and not be heating up polity through unnecessary protest. I equally request that Governor Abiodun should set up a Judicial panel of inquiry on this matter to get it resolved once and for all. The truth however remains that Makun people have no land whatsoever in all these communities” he submitted.
It could be recalled that Ogun State House of Assembly engaged the Oniraniken of Iranike, Oba Adewale Adeniji over petitions written against him by the Olumeru Adeyemi Sodiya Family land, Idarika Kaniyu Village through Agerige Village by Okerala farmland in Sagamu on alleged unlawful invasion of their parcels of land; thus ordered him to produce the survey plan on the said judgement within two weeks.

The Assembly through its Committee on Lands and Housing led by Hon. Damilola Soneye issued the order during a meeting which had in attendance, the Ewusi of Makun Sagamu, Oba Timothy Oyesola Akinsanya and Oba Adeniji as well as other concerned parties at the Assembly Complex, Oke- Mosan, Abeokuta.

The House Committee stressed the need for Oba Adeniji to provide the survey plan upon which the judgement was based for authentication by appropriate government agencies to assist the Committee to determine the areas covered by the said judgement; warning the monarch not to go beyond the two-week deadline, after failing to appear before the Committee on two previous invitations.

Soneye in company of other members including Honourables Kemi Oduwole, Solomon Osho, Abdul Bashir Oladunjoye, Yusuf Adejojo, Sola Adams, Atinuke Bello and Kunle Sobunkanla, also warned that the Assembly would not hesitate to recommend to the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs to invoke relevant sections of the State Chieftaincy Law as well as Anti-land grabbing Law, 2016 on anyone including traditional ruler(s) caught in the act of land grabbing and or forcible entry on landed property in the State.

The Chairman consequently directed Oba Adeniji, who was relying on a court judgment obtained in 2018, to desist from unlawful land occupation, adding that no one should threaten the peaceful co-existence of residents in the State under the guise of taking possession of landed property through an enforcement of court judgement.

Quoting the relevant provisions from the State Land Grabbing Law, Soneye cautioned that “any traditional ruler found aiding the activities of land grabbers/Ajagungbale to pose threat or unleash terror on the people shall also be treated as land grabbers/ajagunbale and be treated as such. Any person or authority including a Traditional Ruler found guilty of any offence in this section shall in addition to any punishment prescribed in this Law be liable to imposition of any other sanction, punishment, or liability that may be imposed by any other law including the Chiefs Law or any other Law for the time being in force.”

Also, the Lawmakers resolved a petition written by one Tunde Ologunde and Co against (the Oniraniken) Oba Adeniji on the allegation of forcible entry of landed property, received on January, 6th 2021, where the Lawmakers directed that all illegal occupants of Ipa Village farmland in Makun, Sagamu including one Wale Abiodun, should immediately vacate the village land and subsequently desist from conducting themselves in violent manner as Oba Adeniji had admitted before the House Committee that the judgement he obtained did not extend to Ipa Village, warning that anyone found to be disturbing the peace in the area would be dealt with according to the law.

In his remarks, the Ewusi of Makun Sagamu, Oba Timothy Oyesola Akinsanya, appealed to the Assemblymen to evoke relevant sections of the State Law to restore peace and save the residents of the affected areas from incessant harassment and intimidation by land grabbers, noting that he had confidence that the legislative arm would do justice on the matter.

Kindly Share This
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

BREAKING: Abducted ABSU Student Regains Freedom

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

The only student of Abia State University (ABSU), Uturu, still left in the custody of a criminal gang, which abducted some persons while journeying along the Okigwe-Uturu Road, has been released.

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu made this known this evening via his official Twitter handle@GovernorIkpeazu.

Governor Ikpeazu, who thanked God, security agencies and the management of ABSU for the release of the abducted student, expressed joy at the development and vowed that he will surely take justice to those involved in the kidnap and will not share the State with criminal elements.

His full tweet reads:

“It is with exceedingly great joy and a very pleasant sense of relief that I announce that the only kidnapped ABSU student who was still in the custody of the hoodlums that abducted some people a few days ago along the Okigwe-Uturu Road has been freed. I spoke with her and …her mother minutes ago and want to thank God, our security agents and the management of ABSU for a job well done leading to this good news.

“Our administration has since taken measures to strengthen the security around the area where the incident happened and even beyond it ensure the security of lives and property which remains my number one assignment as Governor and it is one duty I will never take lightly. We will surely take justice to those who abducted our student as we will not cohabit this state with criminals”.

DAILY POST gathered that the yet-to-be-confirmed number of students were kidnapped while transiting on a bus on Okigwe-Uturu Road.

Meanwhile, the Vice-Chancellor of the Abia State University, Professor O. M Ogbulu confirmed that two of the students escaped from the hoodlums while one student was still being held by them.

Addressing journalists in a press conference held in Umuahia, on Friday, Vice-Chancellor had assured that the school authority was working assiduously with security agencies to ensure the release of the students and prosecution of the culprits.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

Latest News

Kogi Miyetti Allah Chairman Damina Regains Freedom

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

The Chairman of the Kogi Chapter of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), Alhaji Wakili Damina, who was allegedly kidnapped on Tuesday, has been released.

The state Secretary of the association, Mr Adamu Abubakar told newsmen in Lokoja on Saturday that Damina was released in Abuja late night of May 7.

Adamu said from Damina’s account, he was released by men suspected to be from one of the security agencies and not kidnappers as earlier suspected.

He said that Damina arrived at his Chikara home in the Kogi Local Government Area of the state in the early hours of Saturday to reunite with his family.

Adamu had announced to newsmen in Lokoja on May 4, that Damina was taken away from his house by eight men dressed in military camouflage.

He said that the men forcefully took him away in a white bus.

He also said that all efforts to get across to him proved abortive as his telephone lines were switched off.

However, the secretary, said that the national body of the association had taken the matter up to ascertain why Damina whisked away in such a manner.

He also said that the group had instructed a lawyer to take the matter up.

Adamu then expressed the gratitude of the association to the state government, police, media and members of the public for their support and concern during the period.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

Latest News

Nigerian Soldier Warns Orlu Residents To Relocate As He Leaks Shoot-At-Sight Order

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

According to a report by SaharaReporters, a yet-to-be-identified Nigerian Army soldier has warned residents of Orlu town in Imo State to either relocate or be vigilant as some personnel had allegedly been given a shoot-at-sight order in the ongoing battle with the Eastern Security Network operatives.

The soldier, who spoke pidgin English in audio obtained by SaharaReporters, added that he would not carry out the plan, and therefore, he had been allegedly marked by the army commander to be arrested and possibly killed.

Orlu has been a battleground of recent between the army and ESN operatives, with the military saying on Friday that it killed 11 ESN and IPOB operatives in a gun duel.

The soldier, who is attached to the 302 Artillery Regiment, Onitsha, Anambra State, warned residents of the town to relocate based on their commander’s alleged order.

In the audio obtained by SaharaReporters, the soldier said, “They first carried us (deployed us) to Maiduguri (Borno State). Then, 25 of us came back hoping that the matter was ended.

Then they carried us to 302 Artillery, Onitsha. All of us were inside the barracks in Onitsha till 12pm this afternoon.

“When the fight ended in Orlu, the commander now said anybody we see, we should fire them.

“I beg you, because of God, if your person is in Orlu, from now till Monday, try to inform them. Tell them to change the location for now. Immediately I left the barracks, the commander said I was going out to expose them and make sure they get me and kill me.

“See the cloth that I am putting on. I didn’t buy these clothes with my money, if you follow this line, I was given this cloth and I have kept my uniform.”

SOURCE: THE DAILY TIMES

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending