Nigerian Teen Gets 19 Scholarship Offers From The US And Canada - IReporteronline
Connect with us
                               

education

Nigerian Teen Gets 19 Scholarship Offers From The US And Canada

Published

on

Kindly Share This

A Nigerian teenager, who scored straight As in WASSCE, has received 19 full-ride scholarship offers from universities across the United States and Canada.

Victory Yinka-Banjo, a 17-year-old secondary school graduate, was offered more than $5 million dollars worth of scholarship money for an undergraduate program of study, according to admission documents and estimates of financial aid awards.

“It still feels pretty unbelievable. I applied to so many schools because I didn’t even think any school would accept me,” Victory told CNN.

Born to Nigerian parents, mother Chika Yinka-Banjo, a senior lecturer at the University of Lagos, and Father Adeyinka Banjo, a private sector procurement and supply chain executive, Victory was given potential full scholarships from the Ivy League schools, Yale College, Princeton University, Harvard College, and Brown University.

Other US scholarship offers included those from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, Johns Hopkins University and the University of Virginia.

In Canada, Victory was offered the Lester B. Pearson scholarship from the University of Toronto and the Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow (KMILOT) scholarship from the University of British Columbia.

Victory, who was a senior prefect in secondary school, added: “Their admissions processes are extremely selective. They only accept the best of the best. So, you can imagine how, on a daily basis, I have to remind myself that I actually got into these schools. It is surreal!”

Victory rose to national prominence in late 2020 after she scored straight As in her West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).

Months earlier, the Nigerian teen had been rated as the “Top in the World” in English as a second language (speaking endorsement) by the University of Cambridge International Examination (CIE). Victory aced the Cambridge IGCSE exam — acquiring A in all six subjects she sat for.

Victory told CNN her remarkable achievements are borne out of hard work.

“They have made me truly feel proud about the hard work I have put into several areas of my life over the years. I am slowly beginning to realize that I deserve them,” she said.

The teenager remarked that her multiple scholarships offers “have made me stand taller, smile wider, and pat myself on the back more often.”

Victory said she hopes to study Computational Biology. However, she is still weighing up her options on which school to choose, having been wooed by many prestigious institutions.

“I am still doing research on some schools that are at the top of my list, like Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Duke, Johns Hopkins, and just trying to compare and contrast all of them thoroughly,” she told CNN.

Kindly Share This
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

education

UNILAG Bans Tinted Glass And Gives Advice To Student

Published

on

Kindly Share This

The University of Lagos (UNILAG) has banned heavily-tinted vehicles ahead of the restart of physical classes.

The institution said the resolution was reached after a review of the security challenges in Nigeria, including attacks on schools.

The Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research and Academics, Prof. Oluwole Familoni, announced the decision on Friday.

Familoni addressed the media on UNILAG’s May 9 resumption for the second semester of the 2019/2020 academic session.

 

The VC assured that UNILAG was taking necessary steps to protect students and members of staff.

“We are in collaboration with security agencies for increased presence on campus. We also have our own intelligence that is unknown to anyone,” he said.

Familoni disclosed that more vehicles would be provided for security patrol on campus. The lighting system has been improved, with additional camera surveillance.

The management appealed to students to be security conscious at all times and move in groups especially at night.

The DVC stressed that only students who meet laid down conditions would be allowed into halls of residence.

They must have officially allocated and paid bed spaces registered in the halls for the session.

Aside from observing COVID-19 safety protocols, students must present proof of allocation – Hall Pass or Confirmation Slip – for the 2019/2020 Session, and submit a signed copy of the indemnity form.

They must present a bottle of sanitiser (minimum of 500ml), present at least 20 facemasks, and wear the facemasks into and out of hostels at all times.

UNILAG students are allowed to bring and register with hall staff, personal mattresses, lockers and table/wall fans that meet hall specifications.

However, they must not be caught promoting overcrowding in rooms. Squatters and floaters are no longer tolerated, according to Familoni.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

education

ASUP Updates Conditions For Ending Strike

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) has said the ongoing indefinite strike will continue until the Federal Government meets its demands.

The ASUP National President, Mr Anderson Ezeibe, made the union’s position known on Friday at an emergency congress held at the Federal Polytechnic, Auchi in Edo, NAN reports.

Ezeibe commended members of the union for complying with the strike directive, saying it would continue until the achievement of its aims.

“Our members should continue to believe in the union the way they have been doing, we have very supportive members as you can see; the strike is in full swing.

“Every polytechnic is observing the strike and compliance level is very high, we will continue to persevere, victory is around the corner.

“It is true that the government has started doing something.

“The one that has been done is the issue of governing councils that have been reconstituted and the visitation panels that have been set up.

“Offers have been made for the payment of arrears of minimum wage and the N15 billion infrastructure revitalisation fund; they are still at the level of offer because the funds have not been released.

“We want to see the funds released for the sector and we want to see some other items that require processes to be put in motion.

“If we are able to get to that point, I am sure our national executive committee will take a second look at the strike,’’ he said.

Recall that ASUP had on April 6 embarked on a nationwide strike.

Among the demands of the union is the implementation of the 2010 agreement between the union and the Federal government on the payment of salaries and arrears of the new minimum wage in some state-owned polytechnics.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

education

66 Per Cent NECO Candidates Pass Five Credits In 2020 SSCE External Results

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

The National Examinations Council (NECO) has released the results of the 2020 Senior School Certificate Examination for External Candidates with over 66 per cent of the candidates obtaining five credits and above in all subjects, including English Language and Mathematics.

The examination body has also announced the examinations scheduled to take place in 2021.

Announcing the results at its headquarters in Minna on Thursday, the Registrar/Chief Executive, Prof. Godswill Obioma, stated that 41,459 candidates registered for the examination, out of which 39,503 sat for it.

He said 26,277 candidates obtained five credits and above, including English Language and Mathematics. According to him, 34,014 candidates obtained five credits and above irrespective of English Language and Mathematics.

Obioma said 6,465 cases of examination malpractice were recorded in the 2020 SSCE External, adding that there was a reduction to the 17,004 cases of malpractices recorded in 2019.

The examination body also blacklisted four supervisors, who were found culpable of aiding and abetting malpractice. He announced that they would no longer be engaged in the conduct of NECO examinations.

Obioma added that one examination centre in Ogun State has been derecognised for intimidation, attempting to induce NECO officials and aiding and abetting examination malpractice.

Reiterating the examination body’s zero tolerance for examination malpractice, the registrar added that the reduction in the level of malpractice was as a result of strengthening of monitoring of the examination by the council.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending