Arguably Delta State has developed far more social infrastructure than Lagos State for the past 20 years of democracy but Lagos State has gotten its priorities right, by targeting its infrastructure development in industrial development.
Within the past 20 years of democracy, subject to further scrutiny:
1. Delta State has developed a minimum of 10 tertiary institutions but Lagos State has not built any new school other than Lagos State University.
2. Delta State has built 2 airports but Lagos State has not built one.
3. Delta State has built about 5 Stadiums and Lagos State has not built 1.
4. In road construction, Delta State has constructed more Km roads than Lagos State putting in mind that Lagos States Roads are about 75 percent Federal Roads.
5. On health care, Delta State has constructed teaching hospitals and more health care centers than Lagos State.
Why then is Lagos State doing better than Delta State. They have developed more industrial estates, Free Trade Zones, etc to attract more private investments and create jobs than Delta State.
Within the 20 years of democracy, Lagos State has developed:
– Numerous Industrial Estates,
– Eko Atlantic City,
– LADOL that Total Fabricated the Egina FPSO,
– Lekki Epe Free Trade Zone with 21 billion USD Dangote investments portfolio.
Governor Okowa has to get its priorities right if he wants to make a difference in his 2nd term.
Roland E. IDIMI (UBIOMOR).