Sports
Pinnick Dumps Third Term Ambition, Gives Reason
Pinnick Dumps Third Term Ambition, Gives Reason
President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, has revealed he will not be running for the position for a third term due to increased pressure from his family.
Pinnick became the first NFF supremo to serve two terms in office after being re-elected in 2018 and with another election just around the corner, the FIFA Council member has revealed that pressure from his family and loved ones have led to his decision to step down.
The decision may also be connected to increased pressure from football fans and stakeholders across the country who have clamoured for his resignation after the country’s failure to pick a ticket for Qatar 2022 World Cup.
The failure to qualify for the global football showpiece on March 29 saw fans encroach the pitch of the refurbished Moshood Abiola Stadium in Abuja after the blast of the final whistle destroying the grass on the pitch as well as the technical area as they publicly showed their displeasure with the result.
Read Also NFF Begins Search For Super Eagles’ Coaches After World Cup Miss
Pinnick who revealed that his position with the NFF has left a strain also stated that he did the best within his ability to see the Eagles qualify for the World Cup.
“At the moment, my family is completely against it. I’ve done my best, posterity will judge whether I did my best or I was good enough or not. I’m still an integral part of football as a member of the FIFA Council, I’m not a peripheral member, I’m also a member of the CAF Emergency Committee, I’m also the vice president of the AFCON committee, so I’m still very deep in football but I believe there’s time for everything,” Pinnick told TopSport on Top Radio on Friday.
“We did everything we were supposed to do but at the end of the day, we are not meant to go on the pitch and play but we did everything in terms of motivation. The players were told in clear terms that if we won the game that FIFA was going to give us some sum of money and the players would take about 35 per cent of the money which is about $3.5m, so what else should the NFF have done?”
It can be recalled that Pinnick had in 2020 stated that he would not be vying for the position but later had a change of mind.
-
Latest News1 week agoFull List: Tinubu Gives Approval For New Appointments
-
Latest News6 days agoKaduna APC House Of Reps Aspirant Pulls Out Of The Race
-
Latest News1 week agoAPC Expels 30 Members Over Legal Action Against Party
-
Latest News1 week agoFull List: NJC Recommends 12 Justices For Court Of Appeal, Suspends Two Judges Over Misconduct
-
Latest News5 days agoAPC Primaries: Full List Of Reps Members Who Secured Return Tickets, State-By-State Breakdown
-
Latest News2 days agoAPC Announces Winners Of Senate And House Of Reps Primaries In Plateau State
-
Latest News2 weeks agoKano Senate Race: Six APC Aspirants Withdraw, Back Shekarau
-
Latest News1 week agoBola Tinubu, Fubara, Hope Uzodimma, APC Governors, Senators, Reps Await Fate Today
-
Latest News6 days agoFull List: APC Publishes Names Of Disqualified House Of Representatives Aspirants
-
Latest News1 day ago2027: Updated List Of APC Senatorial Candidates So Far
-
Latest News2 days agoBREAKING: Fubara Pulls Out Of APC Governorship Primary Election
-
Latest News1 day agoTinubu Speaks Out, Says “They Want Me Dead” Over Alleged Cabal Behind Nigeria’s Insecurity

