crime
Serial Fraudster Defraud Retired Army General N180m, See What Happened Next
Serial Fraudster Defraud Retired Army General N180m, See What Happened Next
Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu of the Federal High Court sitting in Maitama, Abuja has convicted and sentenced Mohammed Sani Zubair to two years’ imprisonment.
A statement by the EFCC’s Head, Media & Publicity, Wilson Uwujaren, said Mr Zubair, a serial fraudster was first arraigned on October 8, 2018, on 4-count charges bordering on fraudulent dealings.
He was alleged to be a member of a syndicate, that specialized in defrauding people.
Read Also EFCC Arrests 75 Yahoo Boys In Imo (Photos)
According to the statement, Mr Zubair defrauded a retired Army General to the tune of N180,000,000.
One of the counts read: “That you, Mohammed Sanni Zubair on or about October 2016, in Abuja, within the Abuja Judicial Division of the Federal High Court of Nigeria, did make a statement to Naziru Aminu Shehu, an officer of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, in the course of the exercise of the duties of his office, contained in your written statement dated 28th October, 2016, which you knew to be false and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 39 (2) (a) and (b) of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act, 2004”.
He pleaded “not guilty” when the charges were read to him.
Based on his plea, prosecution counsel, Richards Dauda, prayed for an accelerated hearing of the matter.
Defence counsel, O. F Ekengba did not oppose the prayers. The trial lasted four years with the prosecution counsel presenting many witnesses.
Justice Ojukwu, however, gave the convict an option of fine of N400,000.
Mr Zubair’s journey to the Correctional Centre started when children of one Major General Geoffrey Ejiga (retd) petitioned the EFCC alleging that a syndicate of fraudsters took advantage of their father’s old age to defraud him of over N180, 000,000.
The EFCC investigated the matter and found out that Zubair was involved in several other fraudulent dealings. He was eventually prosecuted and convicted by the court.
Never Miss Any News, Join Our WhatsApp Group With This Link Below
https://chat.whatsapp.com/DdBOorlQD6wE9BhmOAon3c
-
Latest News1 week agoFull List: Tinubu Gives Approval For New Appointments
-
Latest News7 days agoKaduna APC House Of Reps Aspirant Pulls Out Of The Race
-
Latest News2 weeks agoAPC Expels 30 Members Over Legal Action Against Party
-
Latest News1 week agoFull List: NJC Recommends 12 Justices For Court Of Appeal, Suspends Two Judges Over Misconduct
-
Latest News6 days agoAPC Primaries: Full List Of Reps Members Who Secured Return Tickets, State-By-State Breakdown
-
Latest News3 days agoAPC Announces Winners Of Senate And House Of Reps Primaries In Plateau State
-
Latest News2 weeks agoKano Senate Race: Six APC Aspirants Withdraw, Back Shekarau
-
Latest News1 week agoBola Tinubu, Fubara, Hope Uzodimma, APC Governors, Senators, Reps Await Fate Today
-
Latest News7 days agoFull List: APC Publishes Names Of Disqualified House Of Representatives Aspirants
-
Latest News2 days ago2027: Updated List Of APC Senatorial Candidates So Far
-
Latest News2 days agoBREAKING: Fubara Pulls Out Of APC Governorship Primary Election
-
Latest News2 days agoTinubu Speaks Out, Says “They Want Me Dead” Over Alleged Cabal Behind Nigeria’s Insecurity

