Armed Men Attack Bauchi Police Patrol Team, Kill Officer, One Other - IReporteronline
Connect with us
                               

Latest News

Armed Men Attack Bauchi Police Patrol Team, Kill Officer, One Other

Published

on

Kindly Share This

Some unknown armed men on Saturday night attacked police operatives attached to the Safer Highway Patrol of the Bauchi State Police Command patrolling Bauchi-Jos road at Nabordo in Toro Local Government Area of the State.

The attack, which occurred at about 9:30 pm, led to the death of a 35-year-old Inspector Mukhtar Ibrahim and a resident of the town, one Uba Samaila (33), who was said to have been hit by a stray bullet but later died at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Teaching Hospital (ATBH) while receiving treatment.

According to the command’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Ahmed Mohammed Wakil, who described the attack as “a very unfortunate one”, the police had since recovered the service rifle of the deceased Inspector, adding that more personnel had been deployed in the area.

“Bauchi State Police Command regrets to announce that on Saturday, 14th of March 2021, at about 2130hrs an attack was unleashed at the Naborodo safer highway patrol axis of the Bauchi State Police Command, on police officers patrolling Bauchi-Jos road by unknown armed men.

“The incident, which was indeed a very unfortunate one, resulted to the death of a police officer, Inspector Mukhtar Ibrahim, male, 35yrs who was shot dead by the assailant and one Uba Samaila, civilian, male a 33-yrs-old resident of Naborodo town, who was hit by a stray bullet, but later died at the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Teaching Hospital (ATBH) while receiving treatment.

“The service rifle of the deceased with breach NO.32486 has been recovered by the police and corpses of the victims have been released to the families according to Islamic rites,” Wakil, a Superintendent of Police (SP), said.

The police spokesman added that, “more patrol teams have been deployed to the area while security men have embarked on stop and search with a view to tracking down the hoodlums.

“So far, calm has been restored in the area and citizens can go about their normal businesses without let or hindrance.”

While stating that the state Commissioner of Police, Sylvester Abiodun Alabi, has ordered a full scale investigation of the attack, the PPRO said that the CP regretted the ugly incident and had since condoled with the bereaved family over the irreplaceable loss.

Wakil stated that the command would not relent on investigating the matter, adding that it would dig deep and find a lasting solution to the security breach.

“Our resilience as enforcers of the law has been tested by these criminals, but our resolve remains firm and resolute in fishing them out and serving justice adequately,” Wakil affirmed.

Kindly Share This
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Court Reinstates Edo Commission Sacked By Oshiomhole 13 Years Ago

Published

on

Kindly Share This

The Court of Appeal, Benin Division, on Tuesday, set aside the dissolution of the Edo State Law Review Commission for the past 13 years over failure to follow due process.

The commission was dissolved in 2008 by the administration of Governor Adams Oshiomhole.

In a unanimous‎ judgment, the court ordered that the commission’s members be reinstated and be allowed to complete their tenure, which should now run from March 25, 2021, to August 25, 2025.

In the judgment delivered by a three-person panel and read by Justice Biobele Abraham Georgewill, with justices Oyebisi Omoleye and Fredrick Oho as members, the appellate court held that Mr Oshiomhole’s government did not follow the laid-down procedure in dissolving the commission.

In the suit (No B/375/OS/2009), the appellants were Jonathan Aghimien (SAN), T. E. Ogbeide-Ihama, and Edward Aigbanbe, while the Edo governor, the attorney general, and the House of Assembly were the respondents.

The appellants challenged the ruling of Justice Nogi Aifuwa Imoukhuede of the state’s high court, which dismissed the appellants’ claims for being statute-barred.

In his ruling, Mr Georgewill declared that “the dissolution of the Edo State Law Review Commission and consequent termination of the appointments of the Appellants on 24/11/2008, without due compliance with the provisions of the Revised Edition Law of Edo state 2001, by the 1st Respondent, the then Executive Governor of Edo state is null, void and of no effect whatsoever.”

The court set aside the letter issued by the then-Secretary to State Government on behalf of the governor, saying it was issued without compliance with the Revised Edition Law of Edo State 2001.

He said, “An order is hereby given reinstating the appellants to their aforesaid position as Chairman and members of the Edo State Law Review Commission to serve out the remainder of their five-year tenure.”

He added, “Thereafter from the date of this judgment being 25/3/2021 to 25/8/2025 totalling five years in line with Section 7 (1) of the Revised Edition Law 2001 of Edo state, excluding the period from 24/11/2008 to 25/3/2021, unless the appellants are removed in line with the provision of the Revised Edition law of Edo State of Nigeria 2001.”

(NAN)

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

Latest News

Some Of IPOB’s Grievances Are Valid. They Should Be Addressed Squarely – Gov Ikpeazu

Published

on

Kindly Share This

The governor of Abia state, Okezie Ikpeazu, says some of the grievances of the proscribed Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB) are valid and need to be addressed squarely.

Some of IPOB?s grievances are valid. They should be addressed squarely - Gov Ikpeazu

The group has over the years accused successive Nigerian governments of marginalizing the South East region and have called for the creation of the Biafran nation.

 

Speaking on Arise TV on Tuesday, April 12, Ikpeazu said some of the “issues raised” by IPOB should be addressed as they are valid.

 

In his words

 

“I have taken my time to listen to some of these issues raised by IPOB: issues about injustice, issues of marginalisation, issues of trust deficits within the polity called Nigeria as it concerns people from south-eastern Nigeria. And I think some of those are valid issues and they should be addressed and spoken to. They should be addressed squarely. So that everybody and those of us that are in government today can have a foothold within the southeast region to continue to promote the unity of Nigeria.

I do not subscribe to the strategy of IPOB in pursuing their goals. And the reason is because I’m yet to see the end of the tunnel from where I’m standing and I do not like to take a plunge in the dark. We must engage and discuss the issue which is bothering them and everybody and we can’t continue to pretend as if these issues are not valid.

Equal rights and justice is an indelible right of all citizens and if through impunity and carelessness we allow a group of people to begin to feel like they’re not rightly represented within the polity, it creates a lacuna where people are no longer confident in the government to protect them and take care of their interest within the polity. There’s bound to be agitation one way or another. Some of these reactions may extrapolate to levels that may undermine national convention and unity.”

 

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

Latest News

EFCC Arrests Former Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha

Published

on

Kindly Share This

Former Imo state governor cum Senator, Rochas Okorocha, has reportedly been arrested by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC.

 

Officials of the Commission laid siege to the former Governor’s private office at Nkwerre Street in the Garki area of Abuja and picked him up shortly after he returned from a trip today April 13.

 

EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, who confirmed the arrest to the Nation but did not give reasons for the action.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending