Rochas Okorocha Remains In EFCC Custody - IReporteronline
Connect with us
                               

Latest News

Rochas Okorocha Remains In EFCC Custody

Published

on

Kindly Share This

Senator Rochas Okorocha remained with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday, 24 hours after he was arrested.

The ex-Imo State governor, the first high profile person to be arrested since the appointment of Abdulrasheed Bawa as EFCC chair, is facing questioning for various petitions, including a N7.9 billion alleged fraud.

As at 5pm yesterday, he was battling to secure administrative bail.

A source in EFCC said: “The former governor has been undergoing interrogation in the last 24 hours. He has not  been admitted to bail. There are a lot of transactions which he ought to clarify.

“So far, he has been cooperating with our team. He might need to go through some documents and give his own side.”

The anti-graft agency yesterday sustained its high-profile investigation with the arrest of a former Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in Akwa Ibom State, Uwemedimo Thomas Nwoko for money laundering.

Operatives of the Uyo Zonal Office of the EFCC arrested Nwoko.

The EFCC has been on his trail for two years.

The ex-AG was said to be “an alleged accomplice in the N1.4billion money laundering charge against a former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Paul Usoro.

A top source said: “Nwoko had been at large for over two years. However, he was finally nabbed on Tuesday in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, for his role in the conversion of N1, 410,000,000,000 property of the Government of Akwa Ibom State.

“He will be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded.”

The Head of Media and Publicity of EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, confirmed the arrest but he did not give details.

But findings showed that the EFCC had traced the  N1.4billion  to 12 suspected accounts.

Some of the accounts belong to eight top lawyers in the country.

One of the suspects claimed that the huge sum was meant for the payment for 16 cases.

But, there were no records of any agreement between any consortium of lawyers and the state government.

According to a fact-sheet on alleged huge transfers to suspicious accounts, the N1.4billion was remitted into the 12 accounts as follows: N135m; N120m; N100m; N60m; N60m; N65m; N570m; N75m; N75m; N75m; N30m; and N45m.

The fact-sheet said: “There was no document tied to specific payment. The deposit also did not specify what the cash was meant for.

“There was no evidence of any agreement between the state government and the beneficiaries of the N1.4billion. The lead coordinator of the lawyers who benefitted from the cash could not say how much was charged and how much was agreed upon.

“The lead lawyer only said the cash was for 16 cases in various courts across the country but only a case was reflected as having gone from the lower court to the Supreme Court.

“The lead lawyer has made statement without any shred of evidence or document to justify the legal contract.”

A source said: “With the arrest of the former Attorney-General of Akwa Ibom State, he will be able to give the details of the cases handled, the agreement with the lawyers and how the cash was disbursed.

“So far, we are suspecting a case of money laundering.”

Kindly Share This
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

BREAKING: Abducted ABSU Student Regains Freedom

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

The only student of Abia State University (ABSU), Uturu, still left in the custody of a criminal gang, which abducted some persons while journeying along the Okigwe-Uturu Road, has been released.

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu made this known this evening via his official Twitter handle@GovernorIkpeazu.

Governor Ikpeazu, who thanked God, security agencies and the management of ABSU for the release of the abducted student, expressed joy at the development and vowed that he will surely take justice to those involved in the kidnap and will not share the State with criminal elements.

His full tweet reads:

“It is with exceedingly great joy and a very pleasant sense of relief that I announce that the only kidnapped ABSU student who was still in the custody of the hoodlums that abducted some people a few days ago along the Okigwe-Uturu Road has been freed. I spoke with her and …her mother minutes ago and want to thank God, our security agents and the management of ABSU for a job well done leading to this good news.

“Our administration has since taken measures to strengthen the security around the area where the incident happened and even beyond it ensure the security of lives and property which remains my number one assignment as Governor and it is one duty I will never take lightly. We will surely take justice to those who abducted our student as we will not cohabit this state with criminals”.

DAILY POST gathered that the yet-to-be-confirmed number of students were kidnapped while transiting on a bus on Okigwe-Uturu Road.

Meanwhile, the Vice-Chancellor of the Abia State University, Professor O. M Ogbulu confirmed that two of the students escaped from the hoodlums while one student was still being held by them.

Addressing journalists in a press conference held in Umuahia, on Friday, Vice-Chancellor had assured that the school authority was working assiduously with security agencies to ensure the release of the students and prosecution of the culprits.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

Latest News

Kogi Miyetti Allah Chairman Damina Regains Freedom

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

The Chairman of the Kogi Chapter of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN), Alhaji Wakili Damina, who was allegedly kidnapped on Tuesday, has been released.

The state Secretary of the association, Mr Adamu Abubakar told newsmen in Lokoja on Saturday that Damina was released in Abuja late night of May 7.

Adamu said from Damina’s account, he was released by men suspected to be from one of the security agencies and not kidnappers as earlier suspected.

He said that Damina arrived at his Chikara home in the Kogi Local Government Area of the state in the early hours of Saturday to reunite with his family.

Adamu had announced to newsmen in Lokoja on May 4, that Damina was taken away from his house by eight men dressed in military camouflage.

He said that the men forcefully took him away in a white bus.

He also said that all efforts to get across to him proved abortive as his telephone lines were switched off.

However, the secretary, said that the national body of the association had taken the matter up to ascertain why Damina whisked away in such a manner.

He also said that the group had instructed a lawyer to take the matter up.

Adamu then expressed the gratitude of the association to the state government, police, media and members of the public for their support and concern during the period.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

Latest News

Nigerian Soldier Warns Orlu Residents To Relocate As He Leaks Shoot-At-Sight Order

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

According to a report by SaharaReporters, a yet-to-be-identified Nigerian Army soldier has warned residents of Orlu town in Imo State to either relocate or be vigilant as some personnel had allegedly been given a shoot-at-sight order in the ongoing battle with the Eastern Security Network operatives.

The soldier, who spoke pidgin English in audio obtained by SaharaReporters, added that he would not carry out the plan, and therefore, he had been allegedly marked by the army commander to be arrested and possibly killed.

Orlu has been a battleground of recent between the army and ESN operatives, with the military saying on Friday that it killed 11 ESN and IPOB operatives in a gun duel.

The soldier, who is attached to the 302 Artillery Regiment, Onitsha, Anambra State, warned residents of the town to relocate based on their commander’s alleged order.

In the audio obtained by SaharaReporters, the soldier said, “They first carried us (deployed us) to Maiduguri (Borno State). Then, 25 of us came back hoping that the matter was ended.

Then they carried us to 302 Artillery, Onitsha. All of us were inside the barracks in Onitsha till 12pm this afternoon.

“When the fight ended in Orlu, the commander now said anybody we see, we should fire them.

“I beg you, because of God, if your person is in Orlu, from now till Monday, try to inform them. Tell them to change the location for now. Immediately I left the barracks, the commander said I was going out to expose them and make sure they get me and kill me.

“See the cloth that I am putting on. I didn’t buy these clothes with my money, if you follow this line, I was given this cloth and I have kept my uniform.”

SOURCE: THE DAILY TIMES

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending