Connect with us

Latest News

Only God Can Decide Igbo Presidency – Umahi Declares in Bold Political Stand

Published

on

Umahi 640x443 1

The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has stated that the realisation of an Igbo presidency is ultimately a matter to be determined by divine will. Addressing journalists in Abuja regarding his earlier controversial remarks on the issue, the minister stressed that achieving such a political milestone cannot be driven by sentiment alone, but must be rooted in strategic political engagement.

“Politics is about dialogue—about mutual support and strategic alliances,” he said. “It’s not just about our votes; we must also support other regions if we expect them to support us. That’s the political reality.”

Umahi urged the Igbo people to understand the necessity of aligning with other geopolitical zones, particularly the South West, as a way of building the goodwill required to actualise an Igbo presidency. He maintained that the South East possesses many capable and honest individuals who are qualified for national leadership but need broader national backing to succeed.

While reiterating his support for President Bola Tinubu, Umahi dismissed what he described as deceptive political narratives, insisting that regional aspirations must be built on truth, honesty, and mutual cooperation. “We will continue to speak up and educate our people,” he added.

Advertisement

On infrastructure developments, the minister highlighted ongoing road projects in the South East, noting that the previous administration had awarded the dual carriageway of the Enugu-Onitsha Road—spanning 108 kilometres—at a cost of ₦202 billion under a tax credit scheme involving MTN. However, only ₦50 billion had been utilised before the current administration reassessed and re-awarded 72 kilometres of the project at the same ₦50 billion.

He confirmed that immediate intervention has been directed, instructing construction firms to prioritise the most deteriorated segments to ensure full motorability from Enugu to Onitsha.

In the South-South, Umahi detailed progress on a critical 11.5-kilometre stretch from the First Niger Bridge to Summit Junction. The project, formerly under Chinese contractors, has now been handed to African Plus under a Public-Private Partnership (PPP), with emergency work awarded to Atlant.

Despite a broader perception of regional imbalance in infrastructure allocation, the minister disclosed that 53 per cent of projects are situated in the North, compared to 47 per cent in the South. Within the South, he noted that the South East holds only 4 per cent of these projects, while the South West has 5 per cent.

Advertisement

Nonetheless, President Tinubu, according to Umahi, has shown a strong commitment to equitable development by continuing all inherited projects. He also revealed that funding from the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) ceased as of August 1, prompting the Federal Executive Council to seek alternative financing.

“The President has directed that no project funded under the NNPC tax credit scheme should be abandoned,” Umahi said, adding that a new funding model will be implemented to ensure all projects reach completion.

Advertisement
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Trending

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x