Entertainment
Rodri: ‘Playing For Barcelona Is A Dream’ As £65m Move Nears Completion
Spanish midfielder Rodri is on the verge of completing a £65 million transfer from Manchester City to Barcelona, with the player describing the move as the fulfilment of a lifelong ambition.
According to Ireporter Online, Rodri arrived in Barcelona on Monday, August 17, alongside his family ahead of his scheduled medical and the final formalities of the transfer.
Speaking to reporters after arriving at El Prat Airport, the Spain international expressed his excitement about joining the Catalan giants after several days of intense negotiations.
“I’m happy to be here; it’s been a few intense days, and I’m thrilled to be here. Playing for Barcelona is a dream. We’re going for the Champions League and everything else that comes our way,” Rodri said.
Barcelona reportedly faced significant competition to secure the midfielder, with Manchester City rejecting two initial offers before eventually agreeing to the transfer. Rodri remained firm throughout the negotiations that Barcelona was his preferred destination despite interest from several top European clubs.
Real Madrid also reportedly held discussions with the player and made an offer described by his representative as extremely difficult to turn down. Paris Saint-Germain was also said to have shown interest, but Rodri ultimately opted for Barcelona, believing his style of play fits the club’s football philosophy.
The midfielder is expected to undergo his medical on Tuesday before signing a four-year contract. Barcelona will then complete the necessary paperwork before officially unveiling him as a new signing.
Rodri is unlikely to feature against Al Ahly in the Joan Gamper Trophy as he has yet to train with his new teammates. Barcelona is reportedly planning a gradual integration into the squad to avoid rushing him into competitive action.
The transfer will bring an end to Rodri’s seven-year spell at Manchester City, where he developed into one of Europe’s most accomplished midfielders. During his time at the Etihad Stadium, he won four Premier League titles, two FA Cups, three League Cups and the UEFA Champions League.
Rodri also scored the decisive goal in Manchester City’s 2023 Champions League final victory over Inter Milan and played a key role in the club’s historic treble-winning campaign.
His departure represents a significant midfield loss for Manchester City, although the club has already taken steps to strengthen the position with the signing of Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest.
City are also reportedly monitoring Lille youngster Ayyoub Bouaddi and have previously considered a move for Chelsea midfielder Enzo Fernandez. However, Chelsea’s reported £120 million valuation has so far prevented negotiations from progressing.
-
Latest News1 week agoTinubu Summons 76 Osun APC Leaders Over Ribadu’s Explosive Intelligence Report
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Picks Gbajabiamila, Soludo, Zulum, Others For Canada Investment Mission
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Approves Fresh Civil Service Recruitment Exercise
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Launches ₦216bn Osun–Oyo Road Projects
-
Latest News1 week agoArmy Orders Abuja Residents To Vacate Homes Over Security Threat
-
Latest News7 days agoOkpebholo Sacks SUBEB Chairman, Names Immediate Replacement
-
Latest News5 days agoTinubu Approves New Ports Regulator For Nigeria
-
Latest News2 weeks agoEFCC Moves To Take Over Abubakar Malami-Linked Properties
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Announces Rescue Of 308 Kidnap Victims In Massive Security Operation
-
Latest News2 days agoINEC Makes Fresh Announcement After Declaring Adeleke Winner Of Osun Election
-
Latest News2 weeks agoWAEC Releases 2026 WASSCE Results, Candidates Can Now Check Scores
-
Latest News5 days agoEdo Gov Reshuffles Cabinet, Creates New Ministry — Full List

