Latest News
Families Wail As Over 400 Corpses Burn In Fire Incident At The Mortuary Section Of General Hospital
Families Wail As Over 400 Corpses Burn In Fire Incident At The Mortuary Section Of General Hospital
Over 400 corpses have been burnt in a fire incident at the mortuary section of the General Hospital, Onitsha, Anambra State.
The fire, which lasted about three hours on Saturday, razed the mortuary building located behind the hospital facility.
The fire was said to have emanated from a burning bush behind the morgue.
According to PUNCH Metro, when the fire started, mortuary attendants poured water mixed with detergent to douse the flame.
However, when the fire escalated, they called the state fire service.
A visit to the scene on Sunday shows a gory sight, as families who deposited corpses in the mortuary lamented the situation.
Read Also 2023: Former Spokesman Of Atiku Abubakar Presidential Campaign Organisation Dumps Him
Some, who had come to carry their corpses for burial, burst into tears when they saw that the mortuary was in ruins.
One of them, Charles Ozor, said, “We came to take the corpse of a community member for burial only for us to see that the corpses in the morgue had been burnt beyond recognition. We are confused; we don’t know what to do.”
An eyewitness, who did not want to be identified, recalled that someone had cleared the bush behind the morgue and set it on fire.
He said, “The bush is a bit far from the mortuary. But before we knew what was happening, we saw that the roof of the mortuary had caught fire. There were over 400 corpses inside the building. The entire place was engulfed in fire. Before firefighters came, the fire had caused a lot of damage; most of the corpses were burnt to ashes and some beyond recognition.
“The firefighters battled to stop the fire from escalating to other buildings. In fact, the water in their tank finished; they had to go and refill elsewhere because the hospital does not have a water facility on its premises.”
An auxiliary worker, who did not mention her name, told PUNCH Metro that the morgue had been contracted to a private operator.
Read Also How Late Head Of State, Sani Abacha Was Discovered Dead – Abdulsalami Abubakar Makes Revelation
The operator of the morgue, who identified himself simply as Emma, said, “I had gone to Awka to bring some corpses. While I was there, I was informed about the fire on the phone and I rushed down immediately. Before I arrived here, the fire had done a lot of damage.
“The fire burnt both fresh and abandoned corpses packed inside the morgue. The chemicals we used in preserving the corpses must have aggravated the fire. The chemicals are highly inflammable and they burn faster than fuel.”
The Director of the Anambra State Fire Service, Mr Martin Agbili, who confirmed that the fire was from bush burning, added that firefighters battled to stop the fire from spreading to surrounding buildings.
He said, “We received a distress call from the General Hospital, Onitsha, and we deployed our men and the firefighters’ equipment to put out the fire.
“We found out that the fire came through the bush and we have been telling people to ensure that they cut the bushes around their houses and avoid bush burning because this harmattan period, fire can come from anywhere, even from a far distance, because every surface is dry and inflammable.”
He noted that though there was no loss of lives, those who tried to put out the fire sustained varying degrees of burns.
Burnt corpses still littered the vicinity of the morgue as of the time of filing the report.
-
Latest News1 week agoTinubu Summons 76 Osun APC Leaders Over Ribadu’s Explosive Intelligence Report
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Picks Gbajabiamila, Soludo, Zulum, Others For Canada Investment Mission
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Approves Fresh Civil Service Recruitment Exercise
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Launches ₦216bn Osun–Oyo Road Projects
-
Latest News1 week agoArmy Orders Abuja Residents To Vacate Homes Over Security Threat
-
Latest News6 days agoOkpebholo Sacks SUBEB Chairman, Names Immediate Replacement
-
Latest News5 days agoTinubu Approves New Ports Regulator For Nigeria
-
Latest News2 weeks agoEFCC Moves To Take Over Abubakar Malami-Linked Properties
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Announces Rescue Of 308 Kidnap Victims In Massive Security Operation
-
Latest News2 days agoINEC Makes Fresh Announcement After Declaring Adeleke Winner Of Osun Election
-
Latest News2 weeks agoWAEC Releases 2026 WASSCE Results, Candidates Can Now Check Scores
-
Latest News5 days agoEdo Gov Reshuffles Cabinet, Creates New Ministry — Full List

