Latest News
IGP Outlines Conditions For Upcoming Protest
IGP Outlines Conditions For Upcoming Protest
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr Olukayode Egbetokun has issued guidelines for the Aug. 1 planned nationwide protest by some Nigerians.
Egbetokun issued the guidelines while adressing newsmen on Friday in Abuja.
He said that protesters must provide details of their proposed route, assembling point; duration of the protest; names and contacts of protest leaders and organisers.
The I-G said that the Commissioner of Police in charge of the state the protest was intended, must also be provided with measures taken to prevent the hijack of the protest by criminal elements.
“By providing these information, the police will be enabled to deploy adequate personnel and resources to ensure public safety.
“It will also help the police to designate its personnel specific routes and areas for the protest, to avoid conflict with other event or activities.
“With the information, the Police can establish clear communication channels with the protest leaders to address any concerns or issues that may arise.
“It will also help to minimise the risk of violence, property damage or other criminal activities,” he said.
According to him, the Police acknowledge the constitutional rights of citizens to peaceful assembly or protests, but it is incumbent on the protesting groups to provide the details in the interest of public safety and order.
Egbetokun called on the groups in the planned protest to cooperate with the Police, by obeying the law and adhering to global best practices for peaceful assembly.
He said the Police had been monitoring the threats surrounding the planned protest, and that some groups were calling for violent protests to emulate Kenyan’s recent protest.
The I-G said that others were calling for peaceful protest, with violence undertone resulting to concern about their sincerity.
“We have our own history of violent protests in Nigeria and I don’t believe we have to look to other countries to know the dangers of unchecked demonstrations.
“We commend patriots who have withdrawn from the protest and note those who had spoken out against any form of protest at this critical time
“The fear that enemies of the country may manipulate the process were genuine concerns shared.
“We have credible intelligence on foreign machineries’ involvement in the planned protest,” he said.
Egbetokun urged Nigerians to exercise caution and think twice before joining any protest group.
He said that it had become clear that even peaceful protest at this time might be ill-timed.
The I-G warned the groups plotting to destabilise the country and hoodlums seeking to exploit the protest for their criminal agendas.
He said that the Police would not tolerate the killing of innocent citizens, destruction of public infrastructure and private property, as well as looting of private businesses.
-
Latest News6 days agoFull List: Tinubu Gives Approval For New Appointments
-
Latest News5 days agoKaduna APC House Of Reps Aspirant Pulls Out Of The Race
-
Latest News1 week agoAPC Expels 30 Members Over Legal Action Against Party
-
Latest News6 days agoFull List: NJC Recommends 12 Justices For Court Of Appeal, Suspends Two Judges Over Misconduct
-
Latest News4 days agoAPC Primaries: Full List Of Reps Members Who Secured Return Tickets, State-By-State Breakdown
-
Latest News23 hours agoAPC Announces Winners Of Senate And House Of Reps Primaries In Plateau State
-
Latest News2 weeks agoKano Senate Race: Six APC Aspirants Withdraw, Back Shekarau
-
Latest News2 weeks agoPresident Tinubu Makes Surprise New Appointment
-
Latest News1 week agoBola Tinubu, Fubara, Hope Uzodimma, APC Governors, Senators, Reps Await Fate Today
-
Latest News2 weeks agoBREAKING: Prominent Lagos Monarch Passes Away
-
Latest News5 days agoFull List: APC Publishes Names Of Disqualified House Of Representatives Aspirants
-
Latest News2 weeks agoAPC Generates ₦4.45 Billion From Sale Of Nomination Forms

