health
Bauchi Flood Crisis: 18 Confirmed Dead As Toll Continues To Rise
Bauchi Flood Crisis: 18 Confirmed Dead As Toll Continues To Rise
The Bauchi State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA has confirmed the death of 11 more people following the recent flood disaster in Bauchi North Senatorial District, bringing the number of deaths recorded so far to 18.
Ireporteronline gathered that the recent flood incident occurred in Gadiya village in Gamawa Local Government Area of the State where affected communities continue to grapple with the aftermath.
The flood also destroyed over 200 houses and washed away over 300 farmlands, leaving villagers stranded and homeless.
Recall that 7 persons were reportedly killed from severe flooding caused by heavy rainfall in the same Bauchi North Senatorial District two weeks ago.
The rain which fell for three consecutive days claimed the lives of domestic animals and destroyed farmlands and other valuables.
The village head of Gadiya, Yau Umar, who spoke with our reporter in a phone interview on Wednesday said more than 100 people have taken refuge in his palace, adding that others have taken shelter in the village mosques and schools.
This is as he appealed to the government and philanthropists to provide urgent assistance.
Another resident, Amina Gadiya, told Ireporteronline in a phone conversation that the flood-ravaged almost half of the village, particularly because many houses were made of mud.
Amina noted that the villagers are facing severe shortages of food, shelter, and clothing, as many have lost their means of livelihood, leaving children hungry.
She recounted sleepless nights leading up to the flood, which eventually forced them from their homes.
Gadiya described how men in the village spent hours rescuing women, children, and those trapped in collapsed buildings, as emergency assistance from authorities was slow to arrive.
Confirming the incident, the Information Officer of SEMA, Abdullah Saleh said in a phone interview with Ireporteronline that thousands of people have been displaced, with their homes and farmlands destroyed.
Aliyu added that assessments were ongoing across the three affected LGAs which are Gamawa, Katagum and Shira Local Government Area.
He stated further that SEMA has begun the distribution of relief materials to the affected victims, with N1 million given to each affected LGA for onward distribution among the victims.
-
Latest News1 week agoTinubu Summons 76 Osun APC Leaders Over Ribadu’s Explosive Intelligence Report
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Picks Gbajabiamila, Soludo, Zulum, Others For Canada Investment Mission
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Approves Fresh Civil Service Recruitment Exercise
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Launches ₦216bn Osun–Oyo Road Projects
-
Latest News1 week agoArmy Orders Abuja Residents To Vacate Homes Over Security Threat
-
Latest News7 days agoOkpebholo Sacks SUBEB Chairman, Names Immediate Replacement
-
Latest News5 days agoTinubu Approves New Ports Regulator For Nigeria
-
Latest News2 weeks agoEFCC Moves To Take Over Abubakar Malami-Linked Properties
-
Latest News2 weeks agoTinubu Announces Rescue Of 308 Kidnap Victims In Massive Security Operation
-
Latest News2 days agoINEC Makes Fresh Announcement After Declaring Adeleke Winner Of Osun Election
-
Latest News2 weeks agoWAEC Releases 2026 WASSCE Results, Candidates Can Now Check Scores
-
Latest News5 days agoEdo Gov Reshuffles Cabinet, Creates New Ministry — Full List
