COVID-19: Policeman Hospitalised With Blood Clots After Receiving Pfizer Vaccine - IReporteronline
Connect with us
                               

health

COVID-19: Policeman Hospitalised With Blood Clots After Receiving Pfizer Vaccine

Published

on

Kindly Share This

A policeman was reportedly being treated for blood clots on Wednesday in the Australian state of Queensland after receiving the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine on Sunday.

Deputy Premier Steven Miles said it was too early to say if the Pfizer vaccine was linked to the incident.

The man, aged 40, had been patrolling the state’s COVID-19 quarantine hotels.

He was rushed to hospital in the state capital of Brisbane after developing the clots.

Health authorities were reportedly on high alert, and an investigation launched.

At this stage, no formal statement has been made.

“What people should be very confident in, though, is that our medical authorities are determined to investigate any of such incident and provide that information and data, nationally and indeed internationally,’’ Mr Miles explained.

At least 14 people in Australia were known to have had allergic reactions to the Pfizer vaccine, but none had developed blood clots.

According to the World Health Organisation, typical side effects of COVID-19 vaccines can include pain at the jab site, fever, fatigue, headache, muscle pain, chills, and diarrhoea.

(Xinhua/NAN)

Kindly Share This
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

health

NAFDAC Approves Emergency Use Of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) on Tuesday gave Janssen (Johnson and Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine the nod for conditional emergency use for Nigerians from 18 years

Director-General of the agency, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, made this known in a statement in Abuja.

She said: “After a thorough evaluation, the NAFDAC vaccine committee concluded that the data on the vaccine were robust and met criteria for efficacy, safety and quality.

“Thee data also show that the vaccine’s known and potential benefits outweigh its known and potential risks thereby supporting the manufacturer’s recommended use. Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine is the third vaccine recommended in Nigeria for preventing COVID-19.

“The Janssen COVID-19 vaccine is administered as a single dose. Results from a clinical trial involving people in the United States, South Africa and Latin American countries found that Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine was effective at preventing COVID-19 in people from 18 years of age.

“The Phase III clinical trial involved over 44,000 people. Half received a single dose of the vaccine and half were given placebo (a dummy injection). People did not know if they had been given Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine or placebo.

“The trial found a 67 percent reduction in the number of symptomatic COVID-19 cases after 2 weeks in people who received Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.

“The most commonly reported side effects were pain at the injection site, headache, fatigue, muscle aches and nausea. Most of these side effects were mild to moderate in severity and lasted 1-2 days.”

On safety of the vaccine, the NAFDAC boss added: “In line with the NAFDAC’s Pharmacovigilance and safety monitoring plan for COVID-19 vaccines, Janssen COVID-19 vaccine will be closely monitored and subject to several activities that apply specifically to COVID-19 vaccines.

“Manufacturers are required to provide monthly safety reports in addition to the regular updates generated by NAFDAC activities. Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine works by preparing the body to defend itself against COVID-19.

“Unopened vaccine vials can be stored and/or transported frozen at -25°C to – 15°C for up to 24 months and 3 months when stored at 2 to 8°C.

“The Ministry of Health and National Primary Health Care Development Agency will announce when the vaccine becomes available for use in Nigeria.”

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

health

Working 55hrs Weekly Increasing Deaths From Heart Disease, Stroke -WHO, ILO

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Labour Organization (ILO) say long working hours are increasing deaths from heart disease and stroke.

According to the latest estimates published by both organisations in Environment International on Monday, long working hours led to 745,000 deaths from stroke and ischemic heart disease in 2016; a 29 per cent increase since 2000.

WHO and ILO, in a first global analysis of the loss of life and health associated with working long hours, estimate that in 2016, 398,000 people died from stroke and 347,000 from heart disease as a result of having worked at least 55 hours a week.

Between 2000 and 2016, the number of deaths from heart disease due to working long hours increased by 42%, and from stroke by 19%.

In a statement, the WHO said work-related disease burden is particularly significant in men (72% of deaths occurred among males), people living in the Western Pacific and South-East Asia, and middle-aged or older workers.

Most of the deaths recorded were among people dying aged 60 to 79 who had worked for 55 hours or more per week between the ages of 45 and 74.

“With working long hours now known to be responsible for about one-third of the total estimated work-related burden of disease, it is established as the risk factor with the largest occupational disease burden.

This shifts thinking towards a relatively new and more psychosocial occupational risk factor to human health.

“The study concludes that working 55 or more hours per week is associated with an estimated 35% higher risk of a stroke and a 17% higher risk of dying from ischemic heart disease, compared to working 35 to 40 hours a week.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

health

Ekiti To Embark On Rice Pyramid Project

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

Ekiti State Government on Sunday said it intends to produce of over one million metrics tonnes of rice within the next couple of years.

Mr Olabode Adetoyi, Commissioner for Agriculture and Food Security, made this known in Ado Ekiti at a news conference ahead of the official launch of the ” Ekiti Rice Pyramid Project” and flag-off of the 2021 Wet Season Rice Cultivation, scheduled for Tuesday.

According to him, Mr Godwin Emefiele, the Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria, would perform the inauguration of the rice pyramid project while Gov. Kayode Fayemi, would be the chief host.

The commissioner said the state was embarking on massive production of rice so as to be able to meet both local demands and for export.

He explained that the state government had brought in investors, who were ready to invest in planting and processing of rice, adding that the product would be of high standards and stone free.

Adetoyi added that the state government was working assiduously towards ensuring that youths ventured into farming by making it more attractive and lucrative, through various agricultural incentives

He assured farmers in the state that the government would not fail in providing adequate security for them to enable them to go to their farms anytime without entertaining fears

Adetoyi disclosed that 23 new investors had already been allocated lands to plant rice, cocoa and palm oil, among others, as the government was doing all to attract investors through provision of enabling environment.

“ Top notch rice processing plant like Stallion, Dangote and Jumlar rice have been allocated land in a premium location in Ekiti Knowledge Zone for quality rice production.

“ Land clearing and development of over 5,000 hectares of land for commercial agriculture is also on, out of which 1,000 is cleared for swampy rice along the river banks and valleys in the state. Over 40,000 hectares is to be made available as time goes on,” he said.

The commissioner said that the Federal Government under President Muhammadu Buhari had conceived the Anchor Borrowers Programme (ABP) under the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to provide easy access to credit for farmers and processors at a low-interest rate, among others.

He added that the government of Japan had also brought in some equipment such as harvesters to provide high-quality rice production in the state.

Adetoyi warned people in the habit of setting fire to bushes while hunting game to desist from such acts to avoid causing damage to peoples’ farms.

According to him, some farms had been destroyed in the process.

The commissioner said that the government had approved money to buy seedlings that would be distributed to those farmers who lost their farms in such preventable fire incidences.

(NAN

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending