See Yoruba Elders Reply To Arewa Youths Who Asked Southerners To Leave North Within 72 Hours - IReporteronline
Connect with us
                               

Latest News

See Yoruba Elders Reply To Arewa Youths Who Asked Southerners To Leave North Within 72 Hours

Published

on

Kindly Share This

The Yoruba Council of Elders says nobody has the right to ask Nigerians living lawfully and doing legitimate business in any part of the country to vacate.

According to the group, Nigerian people have the right to settle anywhere in the country as provided in their fundamental human rights, except they violate the law.

 

General Secretary of the YCE, Dr. Kunle Olajide, said this on Friday in an interview with SaharaReporters.

He said this in reaction to the 72-hour ultimatum a Northern group, Arewa Youth Assembly, issued to a Yoruba activist, Sunday Igboho, to move Yoruba people from the North.

The Speaker of the Arewa Youth Assembly, Mohammed Salihu Danlami, in a statement on Thursday, had said, “We are now giving him the ultimatum of 72 hours to move his people out, or we will be forced to take necessary actions by personally taking the responsibility of getting his people back home.”

 

The group noted that Nigeria’s entity is non-negotiable and called on all stakeholders to reject anything that would confuse the land.

The statement partly reads, “One Mr. Sunday Igboho issued a statement in which he was quoted as saying enough is enough; that the time for the Yoruba nation is now, that they will no longer accommodate and accept the presence of Northerners.

“The constitution of the country has made it crystal clear that any Nigerian can live in any part of the country, irrespective of his or her religious and tribal placements.”

Reacting to the threat given by the Northern group, Dr. Olajide said, “Nobody has the right to compel anybody who is leaving lawfully and doing their legitimate business anywhere in Nigeria to leave a place to wherever. We’re all Nigerians and we have the freedom and fundamental human rights to live and settle anywhere so far we conform to the law of the land.”

He said the Nigerian government might not officially recognise such a group issuing the deadline for Yoruba people to vacate the North and there was nothing to be scared of with that threat.

He also said the security agents should intervene and arrest the criminals.

He urged President Muhammadu Buhari to address the nation himself, to ascertain if the people are safe or not.

“That Arewa Youth Assembly to the best of my knowledge, may not even be a registered organisation. The government may not recognise it. It is perhaps a group of two to five people issuing a statement. This is nothing to worry about.

“We have said frequently that not all Fulani are criminals. And if there are criminals, the government has to find them out and prosecute them. Yes, Sunday Igboho has the right to say whatever he wants to say.

“You cannot ask anybody whether Yoruba, Hausa, Fulani, Igbo, Tiv or any Nigerian to leave a part of the country whether Sunday Igboho or Arewa so far they are living lawfully. But, if they violate the law, then it is the responsibility to call the security agents’ attention to arrest and prosecute.

“The president should address the nation urgently to assure all citizens that Nigeria is safe. He should appreciate Nigerians and acknowledge their challenges and assure us that he’s doing his best.

“He should let us know what the security agents are doing to restore the security of lives and property. He should talk to us himself, not through anybody. That’s what is expected of a president. Then, go about the process of having a new constitution that will accommodate state police and local government police,” Olajide said.

Kindly Share This
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Group Advocates Ban On Open Grazing In Edo

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

A Non-governmental organisation, New Nigeria Initiative (NNI), Wednesday, advocated a ban on open grazing to prevent herders and farmers clash in Edo.

The group said Edo and the entire country were being gripped by endemic brutality, untold cruelties and awful cycles of events arising from clashes between herdsmen and farmers.

President of the group, Mr Uwadiae Odigie, stated this when the group visited the state acting permanent secretary, state ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Peter Aikhuomobhogbe, in Benin .

According to him, “NNI had in the wake of these attacks in June, 2000 dropped a private bill titled:  “the Prohibition of cattle grazing” in the State House of Assembly.
“But, regrettably nothing came out of it and the result has been the reign of reckless bloodshed by  criminal herdsmen in the State.
“The unabated tragic drama mostly in Edo spurred us to re-introduced a modified version of the bill  to the Dtate House of Assembly.”
Responding, the acting permanent secretary said government was concerned about the security situation in the state.

Aikhuomobhogbe said, “Government is doing its best to ensure food security in the state. If the cattle continue to destroy farmlands, it will affect food security.”

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

Latest News

10 Former Nigerian Governors Linked With N30billion Properties In UK

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

A new report has linked 10 former Nigerian governors to properties worth £56 million (about N30 billion) in the United Kingdom.

The report on illicit financial flow (IFF) from Nigeria to the UK and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) also shows that 216 properties are owned by 13 law enforcement officers in the UAE.

The report was presented at a media roundtable organised by the Human and Environmental Development Agenda, (HEDA Resource Centre) in collaboration with the MacArthur Foundation.

The identities of the former governors were not disclosed.

Dr. Gbenga Oduntan of the Kent Law School, University of Kent, UK presented the report titled, “Fixing Nigeria’s Illicit Financial Flows: A critical review of UK and UAE Policies, Laws and Practices.”

Commenting on the report, Chairman of HEDA, Olanrewaju Suraju, said funds stolen from Nigeria and taken to the UK and UAE were mind-boggling.

He noted that both countries have become enablers of illicit funds and stressed the need to challenge external collaborators aiding the flow of illicit funds out of Nigeria.

“We should make it difficult for people to take out the proceeds of crimes,” he said, adding that the UK and UAE should protect their systems from “those toxic resources.”

The HEDA Chairman noted that while over $50 billion is lost annually to illicit financial flow in Africa, Nigeria is the leading country in terms of IFF.

Stakeholders have however advocated for the creation of a tripartite anti-corruption task force for the three countries to stop the illicit financial flow.

Oduntan, who presented the research report, said apart from the huge amount of money illegally stashed abroad by politically exposed persons in Nigeria, $15 billion alone is lost to tax evasion by multinationals in Nigeria.

In addition, he said there is heavy under-invoicing between Nigeria and the UK, adding that fixing Nigeria’s illicit financial flow would require the destination countries to collaborate with Nigeria to shut down their systems against suspected proceeds of crimes.

However, he lamented that this is not the case, saying in the UAE, findings show that prosecution of money laundering cases is very low.

Source: Sahara Reporters

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading

Latest News

JUST IN: Boko Haram Currently Attacking Borno Community

Published

on

By

Kindly Share This

Damasak, the headquarters of Mobbar Local Government Area of troubled Borno state has again come under Boko Haram attack on Wednesday afternoon, a security source told SaharaReporters.

The incident is the 8th attack on the community within a week, the source added.

Damasak is a border community with the Niger Republic north and is about 180 km drive from Maiduguri, the state capital.

The insurgents had on Tuesday evening invaded the community and wreaked havoc without confrontation.

The gunmen were reported to have razed the Divisional Police Command, schools, shops and residential houses as they hoisted their flags in strategic locations within the town.

On Saturday, the insurgents attacked the community, setting fire on United Nations facilities and forcing humanitarian workers to flee for their lives.

About three soldiers were shot dead by the gunmen while many persons were killed when a military jet that came to salvage the situation dropped a bomb that landed in a compound where civilians were having christening.

Kindly Share This
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending